19 August 2016










SPECTATOR



he held your hand
and your eyes were shut.
shut and would 
never open again to see him.
no, not here in this lifetime.
not here in this world.
I closed my eyes and held 
the lump in my throat
as he caressed your face
one last time.
it's too painful to watch,
as the rawness of life etched itself
in my own soul.
i closed the door and rolled 
shut the blinds.
here i am an
unworthy spectator
of a love that has been
taken away too soon.
I have seen enough
to memorize this moment-
as the warmth of his wet cheek
touched your cold, blue skin
i felt his own heart die a death.
i felt the angst opened a hole
underneath his feet
to swallow him whole.
i heard everything that
was left unsaid,
his murmurings of love
and helplessness...
i noticed the trembling
of his lips,
and felt the heavy void 
that was about to come
and consume him.
his very being has changed, 
froze, numbed.
'i am not ready to say
goodbye to you'
i heard him whispher 
into your ear.
and somehow in the
 quiet silence of the room,
i hear you say-
'me too.'




by kaye











No comments:

Post a Comment